Menstrual cramps are painful cramps common among women during the age of reproduction. Medically, menstrual cramps are termed Dysmenorrhea and commonly occur either before or during the menstrual period cycle. Basically dysmenorrhea is classified as Primary dysmenorrhea and Secondary dysmenorrhea.
Common menstrual cramps are known as Primary dysmenorrhea and usually begin to surface one to two years after a women begins her menstrual cycle. Such menstrual cramps usually occurs with mild to severe pain in the lower abdomen or back, ranging from one to three days. As a women ages, menstrual cramps become less painful and could stop altogether after the birth of her first child.
Secondary dysmenorrhea though is commonly due to pain resulting from a disorder in the women’s reproductive organs. Such menstrual cramps begin earlier during periods and the pain last longer than common menstrual cramps.
- Tips and strategies on how to relief menstrual cramps/dysmenorrhea
Highlights of the Video:
- Strongly recommended to apply heat on your abdomen
- Use of heating pad applied for 10-15 mins a day is an option for relief of menstrual cramps.
- Apply heating pad at different times of the day for effective relief of menstrual cramps.
- Using heating pad at night is helpful. However it is not recommended to leave the heating pad turned on when one sleeps at night.
- Drink plenty of fluids to cleanse your body and ease your body from the effects of the pain from menstrual cramps.
- Herbal tea and ginger tea are also recommended to provide for a soothing effect for relief of menstrual cramps.
Natural Remedies for Relief of Menstrual Cramps/Dysmenorrhea
While the heating pad may be able to provide for a temporary relief of menstrual cramps, it does not resolve the root cause of the pain due to strong contractions of the uterus before or during the menstrual cycle.
For long term remedy and relief of menstrual cramps, Moxibustion is an alternative natural and traditional therapy with 3,00 years history recorded in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) journals. Moxibustion uses heat to stimulate the various meridian points in the body to improve the flow of energy and blood circulation in different parts of the uterus leading to relaxation of the muscles, providing a long term relief of menstrual cramps.
Besides providing for treatment of menstrual cramps, Moxibustion therapy is also widely effective for relief of several ailments and conditions. These include rheumatoid arthritis, muscle stiffness, lower back pain, headaches, migraines, stiff neck, insomnia, digestive disorders, anxiety, and female related health issues ranging from irregular periods to infertility.